Find sermons on Highrock Online's YouTube channel.
Through an angel, God appears to shepherds in a field in the middle of the night. God routinely appears and offers revelation to people that society pushes to the margins. What do you think it would have been like to be one of those shepherds? What do you think would be good news to folks who could be considered the modern equivalent of shepherds today?
Prior to your small group gathering:
- Read Scripture passage (see Scripture section below)
- Review small group questions for discussion
Use these questions as a launching point for your small group conversation. Open with a check-in/getting-to-know-you question. Group opener options are available in the Appendix.
- The Gospel is said to be good news. Share about a time you received good news. What happened and how did you feel about it?
- What was going on at the time of Jesus’ birth? How did different people receive the news?
- When you think of the Christmas story, who is it good news for?
- As a group, work out how you would define the key aspects of the good news of the Gospel. What is the Good news you need in this season?
- Was there anything that God was getting your attention about in the sermon, the Scripture passage, or in the additional resources? Anything that is making you ask new questions?
- Is there an action step you would like the group to hold you accountable to?
Almighty God, Your Son, Jesus, is Your greatest gift to us. He is a sign of Your peace. Help us to trust You in this changing world as we grow to be more like Jesus. We pray this in the name of Jesus, our Savior.
Light advent candle for weeks 1, 2, 3, & 4
Jesus, You bring peace in the midst of circumstances. Forgive us when we don't trust in You or in Your plan.
Bring peace into our hearts, we pray.